Wednesday, August 31, 2011

YUMZILLA... pizza breads/marinara sauce

If you're hungry and don't have access to food... MAYBE, DON'T READ THIS!!!

Today i'm gonna let you in on one of my all time fav eats... PIZZA BREAD (((kool-aid smile)))



lemme give you some history... When i was little i used to spend a lot of time hanging out with my aunt n uncle at my grandparents house.  They were just a lil older then me and would always get me to do things by promising me a dollar [which later turned out to be in MONOPOLY MONEY (((eye roll)))] I used to jump the neighbors fence to get balls we knocked over... sit in a steaming hot restroom and talk to my aunt while she took a shower... do belly flops in the pool... (((SMH))) But there was one thing i LOVED to do... MAKE PIZZA BREAD-eek!!!

Whenever it was late and we wanted a snack, i'd hit the kitchen! Toast some bread, spread a layer of Ragu, top with a piece of munster cheese, and stick it in the toaster oven 'til the cheese melted and voila!!! GREATEST SNACK EVER!!! I still eat it today... its just evolved a little! so keep reading if you want the scoop... er, slice in this case ;)


BASIC NECESSITIES: BREAD, MARINARA SAUCE, CHEESE, TOPPINGS
WHAT I'M USING: FRENCH BREAD, MUNSTER CHEESE, PEPPERONIS, N HOME-MADE SAUCE

MY SAUCE
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 whole onion (chopped)
2 tablespoons garlic (chopped)
tomato paste (1 can)
crushed tomatoes (1 can)
tomato sauce (1 can)
crushed red pepper, basil, oregano, garlic salt, & pepper (to taste)
bay leaf (4 leafs DRY/2 Leafs FRESH)


In a medium to large pan heat olive oil. Once hot, add in onion and garlic and cook until soft. Then add tomato paste and mix well with the onions/garlic. Once mixed, add crushed tomatoes (mix well) and tomato sauce and let simmer. Lastly, add in your spices. I just eyeball mine and taste the sauce to make sure it tastes the way i like it. Then let simmer for about 20 - 30 mins, mixing periodically.



while that simmers, slice french bread (see picture) and place it in the oven and BROIL until toasted to your liking. After it has toasted and the sauce is done layer ingredients (bread, sauce, cheese, toppings) and return to broiler until cheese has melted. Remove and serve. I like to cut it into thick dunkable strips. You can serve it as a snack by itself, or with a side salad for din ;)


HOPE you all love it as much as i do!!! if you try it, leave a comment lettin me know how you like it!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment